You will need:
- 1 Can Pilsner – 1.5kg
- 1 kg Lager malt
- 500g Dextrose
- 1 Lager/Pilsner Grain Pack
- 30g Saaz Hops Pellets
- 1 Packet Saflager Yeast
- Well in advance of preparing recipe, place 5-10 litres of water in a fridge and chill*
- Place Lager/Pilsner Grain Pack and 1 litre of hot tap water in a pot and steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the grain through a sieve into a saucepan. Rinse the grain with another 500mls hot water and collect this liquid in the saucepan as well. Bring the liquid to the boil and add 15gms Saaz Hops Pellets.
- After boiling the wort from the grain for 5 minutes, turn off the heat and place 15gms Saaz Hops Pellets into the pot for 10 minutes to steep.
- Add the liquid to the fermenter, with the Pilsner Kit, Lager Malt and Dextrose, and add additional hot water if necessary, to dissolve.
- Add chilled water to make up 22 litres at 20-25°C and stir vigorously for 5 minutes.
- Add Saflager Yeast**, stir gently, seal fermenter and store in cool conditions ***
* Use sterilized containers with lids. Do not leave your fermenter to cool before adding yeast, as this increases the chance of an infection. Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
** Try to maintain a cool, even temperature in the fermenter, ideally down to 12°C. Place your fermenter next to brick walls or on a cement slab, or wrap it in a towel with one end in water, if the temperature is too high. Use a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat and old fridge for optimum brewing conditions.