You will need:
- 1 Can Dutch Lager
- 500g Light Dried Malt
- 500g Dextrose
- 1 Caramunich Grain Pack
- 20g Hersbrucker Hops Pellets
- Saflager S23 Yeast
- Well in advance of preparing recipe, place 5-10 litres of water in closed containers in a fridge and chill*
- Place Caramunich Grain Pack in a pot, add 1 litre of hot tap water and steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the grain through a sieve into a saucepan. Rinse the grain with 500mls hot water and collect this liquid in the saucepan as well. Bring the liquid to the boil and add 10gms Hersbrucker Hops.
- After boiling the wort from the grain for 5 minutes, turn off the heat and place 10gms Hersbrucker Hops Pellets into the pot for 10 minutes to steep.
- Pour the liquid into the fermenter, add the Golden Harvest Lager kit, Malt and Dextrose, and add additional hot water if necessary, to dissolve.
- Add chilled water to make up 22 litres at 20-25 degrees Celsius and stir vigorously for 5 minutes.
- Add Saflager S23 Yeast, stir gently, seal fermenter and store in cool conditions **
* Use sterilized containers with lids. Do not leave your fermenter to cool before adding yeast, as this increases the chance of an infection. Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
** Try to maintain a cool, even temperature in the fermenter, ideally down to 12°C. Place your fermenter next to brick walls or on a cement slab. Place fermenter in a container, add some water, wrap it in a towel with one end in water, if the temperature is too high. Use a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat and old fridge for optimum brewing conditions.