Smoked Chewie - Specialty Smoked Fresh Wort
The "Smoked Chewie" Smoked fresh wort is a dark ale made with smoked malts. It's a chewy beer, but much like Chewbacca himself is very approachable - even if you aren't usually into smokey beers. The subtle smoke is sure to be appreciated by whiskey drinkers and beer drinkers alike.
Feel free to experiment with this fresh wort, or use our recipe:
Smoked Chewie (Smoked Fresh Wort)
You will need:
- 1 Chewbacca Special Release Artisan Fresh Wort
- 10g Cluster Hops (10 min boil)
- 10g Cluster Hops (0 min boil)
- British Ale II (WY1335), MJ M36 Liberty Bell or Saf S-04 yeast
- Well in advance of preparing recipe, place 5-10 litres of water in a fridge and chill*
- Take 2L of fresh wort and 1L of water, bring to the boil in a saucepan and simmer 10g Cluster hops in a hop boiling bag.**
- After 10 minutes, turn off the heat and add 10g Cluster hops and allow the contents to steep for 10 minutes.
- Remove hop sock and pour contents of your saucepan into the fermenter.
- Add the remaining fresh wort and top up with chilled and tap water to 20L at 18-22°C and stir vigorously for 5 minutes.
- Add British Ale II (WY1335), MJ M36 or Saf S-04 yeast, seal fermenter and store in cool conditions, ideally 18-22°C ***
* Use sanitised containers with lids. Use chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
** Using a hop boiling bag when boiling hops will help reduce sediment.
*** Maintain an even temperature in the fermenter, ideally at 18-22°C. If temperature is too high, place your fermenter next to a brick wall or on a cement slab, or wrap it in a towel with one end in water. Use a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat and old fridge for optimum brewing conditions.