Monteith’s Black beer Clone
Monteith’s Black beer (Clone)
You will need:
- MJ Tyneside Brown Ale
- 1 kg Liquid Amber Malt
- 250g Brown Sugar
- Dark Ale Grain Pack
- 1 Saaz Hop Bag (0 min boil)
- 1x Safale S-04 ale yeast (or S23 Saflager yeast)*
- Well in advance of preparing recipe, place 5-10 litres of water in a fridge and chill**
- In a bowl, add the grain with 1 liter hot tap water and mix well. Steep for 20 minutes.
- After steeping, strain the grain through a sieve into a saucepan. Rinse the grain with 1liter of hot water and collect the liquid in the saucepan. Discard the grain.
- Boil the hot grain wort for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, turn the heat off and add the Saaz Hop Bag to saucepan. Allow to sit for a further 10 minutes.
- Pour the Tyneside Brown Ale and hot grain wort into fermenter. Use the grain wort to rinse out the tin.
- Add 1kg Liquid Amber Malt Extract and 250gm Brown Sugar to fermenter. Stir to dissolve.
- Add chilled and tap water to make up to 22 liters at 20-25°C. Stir well.
- Sprinkle S-04 yeast onto the surface of the liquid. Seal and ferment at 18-20°C for best results***
- Bottle when Hydrometer reading is stable over two days. Store for one month for best flavour.
* A S23 Lager yeast can be used for a more authentic version, if brewing at 12°C is possible.
** Use sterilized containers with lids. Do not leave your fermenter to cool before adding yeast, as this increases the chance of an infection. Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
***Try to maintain a cool, even temperature in the fermenter, ideally at 18°C. Place your fermenter next to brick walls or on a cement slab, or wrap it in a towel with one end in water, if the temperature is too high. Use a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat and old fridge for optimum brewing conditions.