250 LASHES ALE
250 LASHES ALE
You will need:
1 Mangrove Jack’s Craft Series Golden Lager
1 kg Liquid Wheat Malt
500 g Light Dried Malt
250 g Caramalt grain pack
15 g Amarillo hops @ 10 mins
15 g Nelson Sauvin hops @ 5 mins
15 g Willamette hops @ 0 mins
1 X Safale US-05 yeast
- A day before preparing recipe place 5 litres of water in closed containers in a fridge and chill*.
- Steep the Caramalt grain pack for 30min in 1 litre of hot tap water (not boiling).
- Strain the grain through a sieve into to a large saucepan. Rinse grains with a further 500ml of hot water and collect in saucepan as well. Discard the grains.
- Add another litre of water, add 500g of Light Dried Malt, stir well and bring to the boil.
- Add 15g of Amarillo hops and simmer for 5 mins.
- Add 15g of Nelson Sauvin hops and simmer for a further 5 mins.
- Turn off the heat and add 15g of Willamette hops and allow to steep for 10 mins.
- Pour the MJ Golden Lager satchel into the fermenter, add Liquid Wheat malt and contents of the saucepan and stir well.
- Top up to 23L with chilled and tap water to reach a starting temperature of 20-24°C, stirring vigorously to aerate the wort.
- Add yeast and ferment as close as possible to 20°C**. Bottle or keg beer when gravity is consistent over two days.
* Use sanitised containers with lids. Do not freeze the water. Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
** Maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter, preferably at 20°C. Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water. Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant. Use a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat and an old fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.