You will need:
- 1 Can Morgans Dockside Stout
- 1 Kg Bag Stout Combo
- 1 Stout Grain Pack
- 1 Fuggles Hop Bag
- 1 Packet Safale Yeast
- Well in advance of starting, place 5-10 litres of water in closed containers in a fridge and chill*
- Place Stout Grain Pack and 1 litre of hot tap water in a pot and steep for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Strain the grain through a sieve into a saucepan. Rinse the grain with another 500mls hot water and collect this liquid in the saucepan as well. Bring the liquid to the boil for 5 minutes.
- After boiling the liquid from the grain for 5 minutes, turn off the heat and place the Fuggles Hop Bag into the pot for 10 minutes to steep. Add the liquid to the fermenter, but keep the bag out.
- Dissolve the Morgans Dockside Stout and Stout Combo in the fermenter adding hot water if needed.
- Add chilled water to make up 20 litres at 20-25 degrees Celsius and stir vigorously for 5 minutes**
- Add the hops bags to the fermenter.
- Add Safale Yeast and stir gently. Seal fermenter and store in cool conditions ***
* Use sterilized containers with lids. Do not freeze the water. Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature in your fermenter and add yeast immediately. Leaving your fermenter to cool before adding yeast can significantly increase the risk of introducing bad bacteria into your brew
** Reducing the total volume to 20 litres will give a richer, more full bodied stout.
***Try to maintain a cool, even temperature in the fermenter. If ambient temperature is high, place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a towel with one end in a container of water. Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant.
Use an old fridge with a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat to ensure perfect brewing conditions all year round.