FAT CAT YAK
Fat Cat Yak
You will need:
250g CaraMunich grain pack
2kg Liquid Lager Malt Extract
1kg Liquid Wheat Malt Extract
10g Nelson Sauvin (11.5% AA) - 60min boil
20g Cascade (5 % AA) – 5min boil
10g Nelson Sauvin (11.5% AA) – 5min boil
10g Cascade (5 % AA) – Dry Hop
10g Nelson Sauvin (11.5% AA) – Dry Hop
Saf Ale Us-05 Yeast, or WLP001 California Yeast
A day before preparing recipe place 10 litres of water in closed containers in a fridge and chill.
1. Steep CaraMunich grains for 10mins with 1 litre of hot tap water (not boiling), adding strained liquid
(no grains) to a large saucepan.
2. Add another 3 litres of water, 1 kg light liquid malt, 10g Nelson hops, and boil for 60mins.
3. With 5mins to go add 20g Cascade, and 10g Nelson. Continue to boil for the last 5mins.
4. Add this to the fermentor with the rest of the malts, and stir well to dissolve and aerate.
5. Add 10 litres of chilled water, and top up to 23 litres with either hot or cold water to adjust the
starting temperature as close as possible to 20 degrees.
6. Add yeast and ferment as close as possible to 20 degrees. After 3 days fermentation add Dry Hops.
Adding loose hops straight into the fermentor is a great way to get that fresh aroma and flavour into your brew.
Don’t worry about them floating around – they’ll settle down to the bottom when the ferment is finished.
Alternatively, you can add dry hops after day 3 or 4 of the ferment, which can give a finer and more pronounced