HIGH-HOP BROWN ALE
High-Hop Brown Ale
You will need:
- 1x Mangrove Jack’s Craft Series Chocolate Brown Ale
- 1 Kg Light Dried Malt
- 1x Dark Ale Grain Pack
- 15g Cascade & 15g Chinook Hop Pellets @ 10 mins
- 15g Cascade & 15g Chinook Hop Pellets @ 0 mins
- 15g Cascade & 15g Chinook Hop Pellets @ Dry Hop
A bold American Brown Ale, with a strong malt flavour and big kick of hops!
- In advance of preparing recipe, chill 5-10 litres of water in the fridge.*
- Steep the Dark Ale Grain Pack in a bowl with 1 litre of hot tap water for 30 minutes.
- Strain the grain through a sieve into a large saucepan. Rinse grains with a further 500ml of hot water and collect in saucepan as well. Discard the grains.
- Bring grain wort to the boil, add 15g Cascade & 15g Chinook Hops and simmer for 10 mins.
- Turn off the heat, add another 15g Cascade & 15g Chinook Hops and allow to steep for 10 mins.
- Add the MJ Craft Series Chocolate Brown Ale satchel, Light Dried Malt and contents of the saucepan to your fermenter, and mix well.
- Top up to 23L with water (use some chilled water if necessary) to reach a starting temperature of 20-24°C, stirring vigorously to aerate the wort.
- Add the yeast that is included with the craft series kit, and ferment as close as possible to 20°C**.
- On Day 6 of fermentation, add 15g Cascade & 15g Chinook Hops to the fermenter and continue fermentation. Bottle or keg beer when gravity is consistent over two days.
* Use sanitised containers with lids. Use chilled water to reach pitching temperature and add yeast immediately.
** Maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter, preferably at 20°C. Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water. Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant. Use a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat and an old fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.