You will need:
- 1 Mangrove Jack’s Craft Series Pils
- 1 kg Ultra Brew
- 250 g Lager/Pilsner Grain Pack
- 15 g Tettnanger hops @ 5 mins
- 15 g Saaz hops @ 0 mins
- MJ Kit yeast or MJ Bohemian Lager (M84) yeast
- A day before preparing recipe place 5 litres of water in closed containers in a fridge and chill*.
- Steep the Lager\Pilsner Grain Pack for 30min in 1 litre of hot tap water (not boiling).
- Strain the grain through a sieve into to a large saucepan. Rinse grains with a further 500ml of hot water and collect in saucepan as well. Discard the grains.
- Add another litre of water to saucepan, dissolve 500g of Ultra Brew and bring to the boil.
- Add 15g of Tettnanger hops and simmer for 5 mins.
- Turn off the heat and add 15g of Saaz hops. Steep for 10 mins.
- Pour the MJ Pils pouch, remaining Ultra Brew and contents of the saucepan into your fermenter and mix well.
- Top up to 23L with water (use some chilled water if necessary) to reach a starting temperature of 20°C. Stir vigorously to aerate the wort.
- For temperature controlled brewing, add the MJ Bohemian Lager yeast, place in fridge straight away and ferment as close as possible to 12°C. For non-temperature controlled brewing, use the yeast in the MJ Pils pouch and ferment as close as possible to 20°C **.
* Use sanitised containers with lids. Do not freeze the water. Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
** Maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter, preferably at 20°C. Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water. Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant. Use a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat and an old fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.