You will need:
- 1 x Blackrock Pale Ale - 1.7kg
- 1kg Ultrabrew
- 1 Caramalt Grain Pack
- 15g Mosaic hops (10 min boil)
- 15g Mosaic hops (0 min boil)
- 10g Mosaic hops (Dry hop)
- *5-10 lt fridge cold water
- 1x Safale US05 ale yeast
- In a bowl, add the grain to 1 litre hot tap water, mix well and steep for 30 minutes.*
- After steeping, pour grain and liquid through a strainer and collect the liquid in a saucepan. Rinse grain with 1 litre of hot water and collect in the saucepan. Discard the grain.
- Bring resulting liquid to the boil and add 15g Mosaic hops to the pot.
- After boiling for 10 minutes, turn the heat off and add 15g Mosaic hops to saucepan. Allow to sit for a further 5 minutes.
- To the fermenter, add the Blackrock Pale Ale and Ultrabrew. Pour the hot wort from the saucepan into the fermenter, using some to rinse out the tin. Stir well.
- Add chilled and tap water to the fermenter to top up to 22 litres at approximately 18°C.
- Stir well and sprinkle Safale US-05 yeast onto the surface. Ferment at 18°C for best results. **
- On Day 4, add 10g Mosaic hops to fermenter and re-seal. Ferment until hydrometer reading is stable over two days.
* Use sanitised containers with lids. Do not leave your fermenter to cool before adding yeast. Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
** Try to maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter. Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water. Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant. Use a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat in an old fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.