NOR'WEST AMERICAN PALE ALE
Nor’west American Pale Ale
You will need:
- 1 Can Blue Mountain Lager
- 1 kg Ultrabrew
- 1 Lager/Pilsner Grain Pack
- 40g Simcoe Hops Pellets
- 1 Packet US-05 Yeast
- Well in advance of preparing recipe, place 5-10 litres of water in a fridge and chill*
- Place Lager/Pilsner Grain Pack and 1 litre of hot tap water in a pot and steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the grain through a sieve into a saucepan. Rinse the grain with another 1 litre hot water and collect this liquid in the saucepan as well. Bring the liquid to the boil and add 10gms Simcoe Hops Pellets.
- After boiling for 5 minutes, turn off heat and place 10gms Simcoe Hops Pellets into the pot for 10 minutes to steep.
- Add the liquid to the fermenter, with the Blue Mountain Lager and Ultrabrew, and add stir vigorously to dissolve.
- Add chilled water to make up 22 litres at 20-25°C and stir for 5 minutes to aerate.
- Add US-05 Yeast, stir gently, seal fermenter and store in cool conditions, ideally 18°C **
- After 4 days, open fermenter and add 20g Simcoe Hops***.
* Use sterilized containers with lids. Do not leave your fermenter to cool before adding yeast, as this increases the chance of an infection. Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
** Try to maintain a cool, even temperature in the fermenter, ideally down to 18°C. Place your fermenter next to brick walls or on a cement slab, or wrap it in a towel with one end in water, if the temperature is too high. Use a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat and old fridge for optimum brewing conditions.
*** Adding loose hops into the fermenter is a great way to get that fresh aroma and flavour into your brew. Don’t worry about them floating around – they’ll settle down to the bottom when the ferment is finished.