ALCOHOLIC GINGER BEER
Using a Starter:
It is recommended (though not essential) to use a Starter with this Ginger Beer kit.
A Starter ensures the yeast is healthy and fermentation commences quickly.
Step 1: (Optional)
- Combine 1 teaspoon of dry ingredient, 1 teaspoon of sugar and ½ cup of tepid water in a small sanitised* container.
- Mix well and stir in contents of Yeast sachet.
- Cover with a clean cloth and leave at room temperature until a frothy head develops. (This may take up to 24 hours)
- Place all/remainder of dry ingredients and liquid ginger essence in sanitised* fermenter with 1kg of sugar.
- Add 1 litre of hot water to dissolve ingredients and stir well.
- Fill fermenter to 22.5 litres with cold water.
- When temperature is between 22°C and 27°C, add yeast or yeast starter (including sediment) and stir vigorously. Seal fermenter and fit airlock.
- When bubbling stops, test brew with a hydrometer. When hydrometer reading is stable over 2 days, between 1.010 and 1.005, the Ginger Beer is ready to bottle.
- Prime your sanitised* 750ml bottles with ½ teaspoon of sugar.
- Stir fermenter gently with a sanitised spoon to mix ginger sediment into liquid, and then fill bottles. Keep stirring occasionally while bottling.
(NOTE: If hydrometer reading is below 1.005, use 1 teaspoon of sugar per bottle)
- Seal bottles with sanitised* caps and leave for 3 weeks before drinking.
* - Do not use Sodium Metabisulphite with Ginger Beer. For sanitisation, use Brew San.