You will need:
- 1 Black Rock Golden Ale
- 1 kg Ultra Brew
- 1 Caramalt grain pack
- 15g Cascade Hops (5 min)
- 15g Amarillo Hops (0 min)
- 1 Safale US05 yeast
- A day before preparing recipe place 5 litres of water in closed containers in a fridge and chill*.
- Steep the Caramalt grain pack for 30min in 1 litre of hot tap water (not boiling).
- Strain the grain through a sieve into to a large saucepan. Rinse grains with a further 500ml of hot water and collect in saucepan as well. Discard the grains.
- Bring wort to the boil, add the Cascade hops, and simmer for 5 mins.
- Turn off the heat, and add the Amarillo hops, and steep for 10 mins.
- Add the Black Rock Golden Ale, 1kg of Ultra Brew and contents of the saucepan to your fermenter and mix well.
- Top up to 23L with chilled and tap water to reach a starting temperature of 20-24°C, stirring vigorously to aerate the wort.
- Add Safale US05 yeast and ferment as close as possible to 20°C**.
- Bottle or keg beer when gravity is consistent over two days.
* Use sanitised containers with lids. Do not freeze the water. Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
** Maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter. Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water. Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant. Use a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat and an old fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.