SENORS SIMCOE & EL DORADO
A Golden Ale of punchy proportions, as befits these potent North American hops.
You will need:
• 1 Pilsner/Lager Artisan Fresh Wort
• 1 Caramalt grain pack
• 20g El Dorado Hops (10 min boil)
• 20g Simcoe Hops (0 min boil)
• 20g El Dorado & 20g Simcoe Hops (Dry Hop)
• American Ale Yeast (WY1056), MJ M44 or Safale US05
1. Well in advance of preparing recipe, place 5 litres of water in a fridge and chill.*
2. Place Caramalt grain pack in 1 litre of hot tap water and steep for 30 minutes.
3. Strain the grain through a sieve into a saucepan. Rinse grain with another litre of hot water and discard the grain.
4. Bring grain wort to the boil, add 20g El Dorado hops, in a hop sock, and simmer.
5. Turn off heat after simmering for a total of 10 mins, add 20g Simcoe hops and steep for 5 minutes.
6. Remove hop sock and pour wort into the fermenter. Add the fresh wort and top up with water (use some cold water if necessary from the fridge) to 20L at 20-25°C and stir vigorously for 5 minutes.
7. Add American Ale Wyeast (1056), MJ M44 or Safale US05 dried yeast, seal fermenter and store in cool conditions. **
8. On day 4 of fermentation, place 20g El Dorado and 20g Simcoe hops in a sanitised hop bag and hang in fermenter. (If kegging, hang the hop sock in the keg after transferring the beer from the fermenter). Complete fermentation as normal.
* Use sanitised containers with lids. Use chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately. ** Maintain a cool, even temperature in the fermenter, ideally at 20°C. If temperature is too high, place your fermenter next to a brick wall or on a cement slab, or wrap it in a towel with one end in water. Use a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat and old fridge for optimum brewing conditions.