THE DOWNUNDER BIG IPA
The Downunder BIG IPA
You will need:
- 1 Mangrove Jack’s Craft Series Australian Pale Ale
- 1 kg Liquid Wheat Malt
- 30g Galaxy Hops
- 250 g Caramalt grain pack
- A day before preparing recipe, place 5 – 10 litres of water in a fridge and chill*.
- Steep the Caramalt grain pack for 30min in 1 litre of hot tap water (not boiling).
- Strain the grain through a sieve into to a large saucepan. Rinse grains with a further 500ml of hot water and collect in saucepan as well. Discard the grains.
- Bring the liquid in the saucepan to the boil, add 15g of Galaxy hops and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add another 15g of Galaxy hops and simmer for a further 5 minutes, then turn the heat off.
- Add half the contents of the hops sachet^ (25g) to the liquid in the saucepan and steep for 10 minutes. Store the remainder of the hops sachet in the fridge, preferably in a sealed container.
- Add the liquid malt from the MJ Australian Pale Ale satchel, 1kg Liquid Wheat malt and contents of the saucepan to your fermenter and mix well.
- Top up to 23L with water (use some chilled water if necessary) to reach a starting temperature of 20-24°C. Stir vigorously to aerate the wort.
- Add the MJ West Coast yeast included with the kit and ferment as close as possible to 20°C.
- On Day 6 of fermentation, add the remainder (25g) of the contents of the hops sachet. Ferment for a further 3 – 4 days until fermentation complete.
- Bottle or keg beer when gravity reading is consistent over two days.
* Use sterilized containers with lids. Do not freeze the water. Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
** Maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter, preferably at 20°C. Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water. Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant. Use a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat and an old fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.
^ MJ Craft Series Australian Pale Ale satchel includes a 50g sachet of hops.