SAISON DU POMP
A dry, refreshing, and peppery French Saison
You will need:
- 1 Pilsner/Lager Artisan Fresh Wort
- 1 Caramalt grain pack
- 500g Light Dried Malt
- 20g Styrian Goldings Hops (10 min boil)
- WY3711 French Saison or MJ M29 French Saison Yeast
- Well in advance of preparing recipe, place 5-10 litres of water in a fridge and chill*
- Place Caramalt grain pack in 1 litre of hot tap water and steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the grain through a sieve into a saucepan. Rinse grain with another litre of hot water and discard the grain.
- Bring grain wort to the boil and simmer 20g of Styrian Goldings hops in a boiling bag for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove the hop sock and pour the contents of the saucepan into the fermenter with the Light Dried Malt. Stir Well
- Add the fresh wort, top up with chilled and tap water to 20L at 20-25°C and stir vigorously for 5 minutes.
- Add French Saison (WY3711) or MJ M29 French Saison yeast, seal fermenter and store in cool conditions. Allow fermentation to rise naturally, even up to 30°C is fine.
* Use sanitised containers with lids. Use chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
** Maintain a cool, even temperature in the fermenter. If temperature is too high, place your fermenter next to a brick wall or on a cement slab, or wrap it in a towel with one end in water. Use a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat and old fridge for optimum brewing conditions.