De KONINCK BELGIAN ALE
You will need:
- Mangrove Jack Belgian Ale
- Dried Wheat Spray Malt – 500gm
- Light Dried Malt – 500gm
- Dextrose – 200gm
- Saaz Hop Pellets – 30gm
- Hersbrucker Hop Pellets - 15gm
- Safale Yeast
- Well in advance, place 5 litres of water in a fridge and cool*.
- Place Wheat malt, Dried malt, Dextrose and Saaz hops in a large saucepan
together with 2 litres of water.
- Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add Hersbrucker hop pellets and remove saucepan from heat
- Cool the mixture and add to your fermenter with the can of Mangrove Jack Belgian Ale
- Top up to 23 litres stirring vigorously to aerate.
- Add Safale yeast, seal fermenter and maintain 18 – 21°C temperature.
* Use sterilized containers with lids. Do not freeze the water. Using ice can increase the risk of introducing bad bacteria into your brew, as can leaving your fermenter to cool before adding yeast. Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
** Try to maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter. Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water. Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant. Use a Brewers Choice Brewing Thermostat in an old fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.